Monday, October 08, 2007

Velocipeding in Style

Ron Grant has spent a lot of time restoring an Intercolonial Railway velocipede he purchased. What's a velocipede, you ask?

That's a velocipede. It's a rail vehicle you pedal, or pump, to roll along the tracks. They were used in the early days of railroading to take maintenance workers to different places. It is obviously a one-person vehicle, and requires a fair bit of effort to use.

I've used the velocipede at the New Brunswick Railway Museum. It is a hand-operated version and it reminds me of a rowing machine.

See the rest of the photos of Ron on a velocipede.


tony said...

hi, where are these rails located?

Canadian Train Geek said...

Ron was on the rails leading to the McAllister industrial park in Saint John, near the refinery.