- More people are on Facebook now, especially older railfans
- You can share photos easily
- Mobile access to Facebook is easy so you're informed quickly
- They are very interactive and anyone can post*
I'm a member of a number of Facebook rail-related groups and I wanted to share those with you.
- RailsNB covers New Brunswick and is very active with almost 500 members.
- RailsMBSK covers the Manitoba-Saskatchewan scene and has become very useful to me and other Prairie railfans.
- RailsAB for the Alberta scene was recently created and is growing quickly.
- AtlanticRails (covering the Atlantic provinces) is not quite as active but sees pretty good traffic.
- Canadian Railway Observations is a huge group with a lot of postings per day.
- Vanishing Sentinels covers the Canadian grain elevator scene and has some great 'vator photos. The dean of Canadian elevators, Jim A Pearson, is frequently present and in fact this group was originally to support his web site.
- The Canadian HO Yard Sale is a great venue to buy/sell model train equipment in Canada.
Anyone can start a Facebook group. I started RailsMBSK and cofounded RailsAB.
I hope these groups (or others) prove useful to you. If you like other Facebook rail groups that I haven't listed, please comment and link to them so I and others can have a look at them!
PS - I'd be remiss if I didn't plug my own Facebook site, Traingeek Images. It's up to 130 subscribers and growing. I post a photo a day and sometimes a couple. Please consider "liking" it. Thanks!
* the exception is Canadian Railway Observations where only the host, William Baird, can post. The CRO Facebook group is directly linked to his paid product, the Canadian Railway Observations newsletter, so Mr. Baird is the only poster in the group. That's his choice and I just wanted to mention it.